(March 18, 2015)
Students earn awards during Scholars Weekend
SHREVEPORT, LA — Fifteen top prospective students were selected to receive Centenary scholarship awards following intensive interviews held during Scholars Weekend on March 6-7.
Elizabeth Sander was awarded the Nan Christian Scholarship Award
"This year's Scholars Weekend was a tremendous success for our prospective students and their families," said Associate Director of Admission Operations Rachel Madison. "Our scholars truly embody Centenary principles through their proven dedication inside the classroom and their leadership in the community. We are so excited to see these students on campus this Fall."
Five students received a phone call from President David Rowe notifying them of and congratulating them on their prestigious full-tuition Nan Christian Scholarship award:
- Makayla Maxwell-Stallcup; Dallas, Texas
- Morni Modi; Shreveport, Louisiana
- Emily Baham; Natchitoches, Louisiana
- Annie Thai; Shreveport, Louisiana
- Elizabeth Sander; Omaha, Nebraska
Sander, a gymnast from Omaha, Nebraska, first heard of Centenary through the gymnastics program. After a visit to Shreveport and campus, she was hooked.
"It made my day to get that call from Dr. Rowe," said Sander. "I am even more excited to go to Centenary now than I was before. I'm also really looking forward to going to Paris. A lot of schools talk up their international travel, but if you're an athlete, it's usually hard to participate. I can't think of a better way to start college."
The remaining students received the 1825 scholarship, a prestigious award conferring thousands of dollars of aid annually:
- Emma Hymel; Lafayette, Louisiana
- Camille Chopin; Shreveport, Louisiana
- Alexandra Mitchell; Bossier City, Louisiana
- Bailey White; Shreveport, Louisiana
- Anthony Visciotti; Bossier City, Louisiana
- Harrison Folse; Slidell, Louisiana
- Margeaux Smith; Ruston, Louisiana
- Kelsey Tuggle; Benton, Louisiana
- Dennis Britten; Shreveport, Louisiana
- Tavia Smith; Frisco, Texas
The Admission Office welcomed the prospective students onto campus for the annual event with a reception at the Feazel Instrumental Hall and dinner at the Robinson Film Center. Students enjoyed staying overnight on campus with current Centenary student hosts.
For more information contact the Admission Office at 800.234.4448 or 318.869.5131.